Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DIY Wedding: A Homemade Veil

Right after I got married, my sister Lindsay got engaged. Since weddings were fresh on my mind, I took the opportunity to put all of my DIY skills to use. I did a lot for her wedding (programs, menu's place cards, aisle runner, her veil, a video slideshow, the invitation suite etc...).  She wanted a really long cathedral veil. Have you priced cathedral veils lately?  Ridiculously expensive. 

Since Lindsay has an obsession with Princess Di, the veil had to be really really long. I think it was five yards of glimmer tulle. It cost me all of $20 to make. 


Here I am cutting the end. We wanted it to be rounded. What this picture does not show is that I used a huge salad bowl as a template to round the corners.

I sewed on a big comb...This is the extent of my sewing skills. If I could have glued it, I would have. I hate sewing.

Before it was steamed, but the comb is on, it's cut and rounded, so we're almost set. 


I thought it was a little boring, so I bought these scrapbooking sticker crystal things at Hobby Lobby.  When I stuck them to the tulle, they kept coming off, so I put them where I wanted them and then I used Gem-Tac glue and a paint brush and painted the glue onto each of the swirls.  It took forever, but that stuff worked, let me tell you! On the day of the wedding, the veil kept catching on everything and those babies stayed on, but the tulle around some of them ripped that glue was so good. 


See how long that thing was?????

You can see the rhinestones here...



No comments:

Post a Comment