Friday, May 20, 2011

It's my fake Chanel Ice Cube Clutch!


So there I was again, stalking my favorite DIY blogs and all of a sudden I came upon THIS. Hello my friend! I NEED this...Will I ever use it? Probably not, well, maybe I will, but it seemed like a fun little DIY so I set to it.  Without thinking, I blindly followed the soccer mom's instructions. I should have taken a little bit more time and put some more thought into this so that I could have made it look exactly like the real Chanel product pictured above. But, alas in my haste, I ended up with my own version. The only complaint that I have (other than the one above) is that it's sort of heavy. Coming from the girl with the 10 pound wedding bouquet, that's saying something...OK, 10 pounds might be a slight exaggeration, though maybe not. The stupid thing had five dozen roses in it...but I digress-as I usually do...

I got these fake ice cube looking things from Hobby Lobby. They came eight to a pack and I needed four packs to get this done. The clutch came from either Marshall's or TJ Maxx, it was $6.99 and I actually really like it...I used E6000 Glue to adhere the cubes to the clutch. I haven't used this glue in forever and I now remember why...it's great, but it STINKS. I stunk up my whole house for an entire day and I thought my husband was going to kill me...oops.




And It's done. I like it. Kind of. I might do a new version using a clear acrylic box, which means that someone might be receiving this one sometime soon. Only time will tell. Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caryn. Thanks for the link! Sorry I didn't post a better picture of the original Chanel clutch I was re-creating but here is a link with Chanel's clutch:
    http://coolspotters.com/handbags/chanel-ice-cube-purse

    I believe they had both clear and metallic lambskin versions. So, I don't think you're off at all. If you prefer clear then I recommend this site for getting clear boxes, but you know it already probably:
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10009767&N=&Nao=20&Ntt=clear+box

    Good luck and thanks again for the link.
    xx
    Maya

    ReplyDelete