Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Crochet me a heart please!

I've known how to crochet for as long as I can remember knowing how to do anything. I think my Grandma Ginny taught me one summer when I was visiting her (I feel like she probably needed to keep me busy because I was being bad)...I remember crocheting little scarves for my dolls to wear during the winter when I was very very young. Anyway, this brings me to today's project...

I hoard and I admit it. I hoard paper and rubber stamps and ink pads and yarn. I've hoarded yarn for the longest though, so I have a ton of it hidden in secret and not so secret places all over my house. When I was single, I would store my yarn in my stove (next to my make up and magazines) because it wasn't used for anything else (very a-la Carrie from Sex and the City-at least I thought I was).

Anyway, so yesterday, I felt the need to further my yarn hoarding and I went to one of my favorite Houston places, The Texas Art Asylum. I discovered this place through one of my friends and then again on Facebook (you can find them there, right there up top at that link). I wandered in sometime this summer and was in crafting heaven. That place is amazing. They have a fabulous yarn stash (amongst many other things) and a lot of it is discontinued yarn that I MUST have (duh). So I popped in yesterday and picked up a few (7) things. Here is what I created today with some of them...


At the top left, the heart is made from Lion Brand Chenille (which unfortunately is discontinued and that really stinks because I love that yarn), clockwise, the light pink heart is made from a mystery yarn that I found at the Asylum, it has little sequins interspersed throughout it and it's amazing. The hot pink heart is pure cotton from Lily Sugar N Cream and the tiny little red heart almost blinded me. I made it out of red crochet thread that I had in my stash and the stitches are so tiny that I almost had to use a magnifying glass to finish it, but it's super cute and so super worth it. I'm felting a clutch and I'm going to use these to adorn it. I'll post a pic when I'm done with the whole thing.

Thanks for the comments ladies!  I think I have them enabled correctly, there shouldn't be anymore issues!

2 comments:

  1. These are adorable Caryn! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing that you just "whipped this up" in one day. Probably not even a day. I could start this now and the unfinished heart would be clenched in my hands when you come to my funeral. You make me jealous I'm not crafty at all!

    ReplyDelete