Tuesday, January 25, 2011

playing with magazines

First of all I have to start out by saying just how excited I am to have six official blog followers!  I know that there are many others out there following along as well and I am so grateful and honored to have just a lil bit of your attention each day!

Part of the reason that I started this blog was to have an excuse to try out a bunch of crafting techniques that I've read about/heard about/spied on etc. one of such said techniques comes from the book "Playing With Books" by Jason Thompson.  This is a really fabulous libro and I've been chomping at the bit to try some of this stuff out...Anyway, instead of using books, I snatched up one of Oprah's Magazine from December and quickly ripped out some pages.
Thank you Oprah for your contribution to my blog. I put your magazine to fabulous re-use.
Sorry that I forgot to photograph this part, but after I was done ripping, I took a paint brush and rolled each page from corner to corner, securing it with my favorite PVA glue. PVA is actually poly-vinyl adhesive and it's fast drying, strong and bendable.


I think I rolled 30 pages and then I glued them together side to side and let them dry for about half an hour.
It kind of looks like a big placemat doesn't it?

After they were dry, I used a heart shaped template and a sharpie to sketch onto the paper roll placemat.

sorry, this picture stinks a little...

Once that task was happily accomplished, I quickly pulled out my exacto knife and a box cutter.  Then the real drama started. The stupid thing broke in half!

NO BUENO!

I decided to muscle through it with both knives and eventually ended up reaching for my scissors to finish the job. It ended up breaking in several pieces eventually, but I just whipped out some more PVA and fixed it. 

Mucho No Bueno. 

I stitched it back up and Voila!  I actually kind of love it!  This is one of those hearts that I have no idea what I'm going to do with, but oh well...It's still cool.

Ignore my carpet please...I got sick of photographing things on the craft desk...

I have big plans for the rest of the week, so stay tuned!!!










1 comment: