Sunday, January 30, 2011

A heart shaped shredded paper bowl...

Last night marked my first ever heart crafting disaster.  It all started at around 5pm, I had my project all planned out, it's actually one that I've been wanting to do for awhile, so I pulled out my book to get started.  There's the book, down there...


Supplies!
This is when I thought I was
actually going to make
two of these guys.
Ha!!!
The not wet enough paper strips
The project is actually those bowls on the cover. I wanted to make two heart shaped nesting bowls. I gathered my black card stock and cut it into strips using a paper cutter, PVA glue, Martha Stewart heart punches and heart shaped bowls. The directions said to cover the bowl in saran wrap.  Here is where I made my first mistake...I had some special kind of saran wrap that wasn't very saran wrappy...but I decided to go with it anyway. Then I took a PVA/water mixture and covered the bowls with it. The directions said the make the paper scraps damp, so I put them in a separate bowl and threw some water on them. In retrospect, I probably could have used a bit more water on them but for some reason I was being conservative yesterday. Weird. I know.

I then set to the task of covering the bowl with the glued up paper scraps.  First of all, this seemed to take a rather long time, then because the scraps weren't wet enough, it wasn't working out so well, they weren't pliable enough. Still, I motored on...
Here we are at the beginning... 

I kept adding more and more scraps, trying to cover most of the bowl.  I put the heart shaped cut outs on there as well to add some dimension.  Really by this point, I was over it, but I wanted to finish.
I have nothing witty to say about
this picture.

It was then that I read the end of the directions...it could take "days" to dry. DAYS????? I don't have days. I have to blog. Fine. So I put it in front of a fan and went to work.  When I returned at 2am, it was sort of dry, so I plied it off of the red bowl and went to bed, figuring that I would be able to remove the fake saran wrap in the morning. 

And this is how it shall stay.
I guess I could use it
as a wall hanging.
No sirree bob. That stuff is not budging.  So there you have it.  My very first heart shaped crafting disaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment