Tuesday, February 22, 2011

#31--Heat Embossing On A Tile...

This is a project that I've been wanting to experiment with for awhile...I've heard that you can heat emboss on tiles and on glass before, but to mixed reviews.  I didn't really have any spare tile laying around, but when I was at the Asylum (Texas Art that is) this morning, I came across a variety of them, so I grabbed a black one. I regret not getting a lot more because there are many other things that I plan on doing with this newly found technique of mine.  

As usual, the easiest way to do this is a...

PICTORIAL TUTORIAL
but first...

SUPPLIES...

My Tile
I'll explain all this stuff over
<<<there...
  

To start, I stamped my roses with the Ruby red ink onto the tile...



Then I put my powder onto the stamps and...


I smushed the rest of the powder into my blue tray.  The blue tray is AMAZING. Until the blue tray, there was a strict "no glitter!" rule in my house instituted by my husband.  Now that I have the tray, I can have my glitter...


This is where it got kind of sketchy...I heat embossed it. It took a long time (but it worked-SCORE!) and it was HOT. Like, even five minutes after I'd finished, it was too hot to touch...


When that was done, I took a wash cloth and held it down (so as not to burn my fingers) and I wrote on the tile with my VersaMarker. Then I used my white embossing powder to cover it. Since the tile was so hot, the powder was sticking to funny places. I guess I could have been patient and waited for it to cool, but I wasn't, so I just took a pencil eraser and "erased" what I didn't want to be there...



I didn't get all of the white off of where it was supposed to be, but it's fine. It was an experiment and I like it very much.  One thing about this that's good and bad is that you can scrape off the embossing.  Since my handwriting is atrocious, I shall be scraping off the "365" and replacing it with actual 365 rubber stamps...once I get them...



No comments:

Post a Comment